Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Top 10 of the 1960s

I want everyone to make their lists: what are the top 10 songs of the 1960s?

Inspired by Pitchfork.

My top 20 (i get 20, its my blog dammit), which will chang momentarily i'm sure:

1) "God Only Knows" - the Beach Boys
2) "Blackbird" - the Beatles
3) "A Love Supreme" - John Coltrane*
4) "Victoria" - the Kinks
5) "In My Life" - the Beatles
6) "A Minha Menina" - Os Mutantes
7) "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - the Beatles
8) "Money Jungle" - Duke Ellington with Charles Mingus and Max Roach
9) "Happy Together" - the Turtles
10) "I Shall Be Released" - Bob Dylan
11) "Waterloo Sunset" - the Kinks
12) "The Weight" - the Band
13) "These Days" - Nico
14) "Subterranian Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan
15) "Willie the Pimp" - Frank Zappa featuring Captain Beefheart
16) "19th Nervous Breakdown" - the Rolling Stones
17) "In My Room" - the Beach Boys
18) "Then He Kissed Me" - the Crystals
19) "I Want to Take You Higher" - Sly and the Family Stone
20) "You Never Give Me Your Money" - the Beatles

*i know its a whole album, but it is four parts of the same song

1 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Big Vin said...

I assume when you say "the top ten songs of the 60s", you are really asking for the top 10 FAVORITE songs of the 60s. Hoping that is the case, these are my top 10 (not necessarily in this order):

1. "Ophelia" - The Band
2. "Twelve Thirty" - Mamas & Papas
3. "All Summer Long" - The Beach Boys
4. "Carn Evil #9" - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
5. "Time Is Tight" - Booker T. & The MGs
6. "Girl" - The Beatles
7. "Opus 17" - The Four Seasons
8. "Theme From An Imaginary Western" - Mountain
9. "Lover Please" - Clyde McPhatter
10. "In My Life" - The Beatles

Again, these are favorites, not necessarily the best of the era. By limiting me to 10, I had to leave out some of my lightweight faves, such as "Catch Us If You Can" (Dave Clark 5), "Rock Me" (Steppenwolf), "My Juanita" (Brooklyn Bridge), "Good Foot" (James Brown), "Opus 17" (The Four Seasons). See how I snuck in 5 more?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home