Tuesday, February 22, 2005

R.I.P. The Jayhawks/Local Racism

So apparently the Jayhawks have broken up. This makes me sad. Rainy Day Music, their swan song, is a fantastic record, and i had just started to dig through their back-catalog to discover some more. This upsets me.

What doesn't upset me is that Blink-182 has gone on "indefinite hiatus," which pretty much means that they broke up, but their label doesn't want to admit it. This is a very good thing. Not that i dislike the members as individuals (in fact, i quite liked Travis Barker's work with the Aquabats, and to some degree, with the Transplants, and i have found Mark Hoppas to be surprisingly well spoken when seen him interviewed for Gigantic, the They Might Be Giants documentary, and hey, that other guy whose name is escaping me campaigned for Kerry - so even though i may not love their music, they seem like good guys), but their music was getting to a point that i really couldn't hear them and like it at all. There was a time when i really dug their stuff, back in my pop/punk days, and their last album just seemed like 3 guys who were bored trying to bring their love for The Cure into a Buzzcocks rip-off band, and that just wasn't going to work.

And apparently one of the guys from Korn is a born again Christian and quit the band.

This has been a volitile day for music.

PS. I'm on facebook now. It's sort of lame but hey, it got me in touch with some old friends, so thats cool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Actual sentences spoken to me while sitting at the bar tonight @ Timbers when i was eating dinner:

"I hope this black bastard (Barry Bonds) has a huge fucking asterisk next to his records"
"Back in my day there were real ball players, like the polack!"
"I says to him, 'your car only has two things going for it: its not a Kraut car, and its not a Jap car' - and he gives me the sign of the cross!"

Ah, nothing like a little local racism to boil my blood.

5 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I can't believe I have to start subbing in a time when Blink 182 has broken up. High schoolers everywhere will be in shambles and I'll have to pick up the pieces. Thank God Simple Plan and Good Charlotte are still together or I might have to go back to publishing altogether. PS: the other guy's name is Tom.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Question...Since when did Jersey turn into backwoods Alabama?

Just curious. You didn't move right?

Dave

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Question...Since when did Jersey turn into backwoods Alabama?

Just curious. You didn't move right?

Dave

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Damn...i turned into a moron and double posted.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Salvatore The Elder said...

I guess the "real ballplayers" being eulogized by the barfly were those alcoholic, skirt-chasing syphillis magnets of yore who couldn't read, write or string two coherent sentences together. Ahhh, the good old days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home